Wednesday, December 06, 2006
Never have I written one of these letters, but this year, for the first time, I will mention some of the blessings we have been fortunate to receive:
- We shared our wealth, giving what feels like a substantial part of our income to the church and to others less fortunate than us.
- We shared a trip to a fabulous Mexican Riviera resort with a friend who is suffering from cancer.
- Natasha traveled hundreds of miles on a church mission trip to help people she had never met.
- Samantha helped every day with Vacation Bible School.
- We bought three gallons of milk every month and donated them to a food kitchen.
- We set out and took up flags marking the graves of vets during the week of Memorial Day.
- We taught Sunday School.
- My lovely wife and I attended religious instruction at a friend's home.
- We organized activities at church.
- My lovely wife served as Girl Scout leader.
- She also continued as President of a VFW Ladies auxiliary.
- We helped a neighbor who had an unfortunate incident with her dog.
- We helped a friend who's baby was born with no mental functions.
- We went to funerals.
- I posted stories, opinions and ideas to the Internet, hoping to increase awareness and to provoke thought.
- We regularly went to church.
- We donated food to the school food pantry drive.
- We donated to the charity drive at work.
- We recycled plastic, metal, cardboard and newsprint every week.
- I continue to try not to speed on the highway.
Gentle readers, you may think these activities blessed others, and you would be right. But these things blessed us more. Forgive me if I regard these as the really noteworthy accomplishments for the family in the past year.
Thanks for sharing it with us and thanks even more for encouraging the rest of us to reflect on what we did and didn't get around to in 2006.
I think most of us have more in the 'didn't get around to' column.
I'd like to be able to write this kind of letter in 2007.
Have a blessed Christmas and a productive New Year.
Links to this post: