Tuesday, September 13, 2005

 

Traffic Unimpeded by Gas Prices

As I cruised down the freeway to work this morning, the size and speed of the vehicles hurtling past me remained unchanged from before $3.00 a gallon gas. I observe the speed limit, stay in the slow lane, and there is plenty of room for others to pass me at 5:30 a.m. I only got honked at once this morning, by some nut doing 90 in a 55 zone.

That's a pretty big fine, if you're caught. I know.

My theory that the high cost of gas hurts only poor people is confirmed. Poor people do not drive gas guzzling SUVs and pickup trucks to their jobs as salesmen, accountants, and so forth.

I believe most people, at least most people over the age of 30, know observing the speed limit saves gas. But the cost of gas does not exceed the thrill of speed, at least, not yet.

The ability to connect individual choices with mass effects would appear to be crippled in this country. But that's the subject of a long essay.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home
Visit My Current Blog!

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?