Friday, August 12, 2005

 

Speed Limits Overcome

I love speed. Doesn't everybody? The feeling of power, of control, of winning as you zoom past a line of slower vehicles on the freeway -- what's not to like?

If I wore a hat, I'd tip it to the kind policemen in St. Louis, MO and Merriam, KS; the state troopers in Illinois, Indiana, Tennessee and Florida: all for not giving me speeding tickets I richly deserved.

As for the Kansas City KS police; the Kansas Highway patrol and the city cops in Kansas City MO: I understand you have a job to do and you did it well. You were always polite and treated me with respect as you wrote me up.

As for the Atlanta police: you guys sure have your hands full. I can't count the number of times you ignored me as I blasted past your patrol cars. Of course, it may be because you always had a faster car than mine pulled over at the time.

Now I've turned over a new leaf. On my last vacation, and since, I traveled the speed limit. My friends laughed at me when I told them that, but I don't care. I claim a moral victory; I took control and suppressed the impulses to speed.

Professor Joe Harkins, who taught leadership in the very first graduate class I took, exemplifies the highly ethical life I aspire to. He showed us that speeding (among many other things) is unethical. I finally took that lesson to heart.

Now the cruise control and I are best friends. If I can learn this at age 50+, there's hope for us all.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home
Visit My Current Blog!

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?